Nutrition Expedition - Your Plan for Health
On February 20, 2017, embark on a six-week nutrition challenge. Each week, we’ll explore a new area of nutrition where you have the chance to earn points and prizes by tracking healthy habits. Whether you prefer to journey solo or as part of a group, there is something on this expedition for you!
Participate As An Individual
Each week we’ll focus on one core healthy nutrition behavior. Choose your own adventure – participate in one or all six weekly challenges below:
• Food plan/shop/prep – join this challenge & learn more
Planning meals and snacks gives you control over what choices are available to you and ensures that you have healthy options and are able to avoid less healthful foods. Defined grocery lists can lead to more efficient shopping trips and financial savings because it minimizes meandering through the store and picking up impulse purchases.
• Fill up with fiber – join this challenge & learn more
High-fiber foods can help you feel full for a longer period of time. Additionally, there are many benefits of fiber, including helping the digestive system, promoting regularity and decreasing the risk of colon and rectal cancer. It may also help decrease blood cholesterol, control weight and improve glucose control in diabetes.
• Focus on portion size – join this challenge & learn more
- In recent years, portion sizes have gotten considerably larger and research shows that this can lead to unintentionally consuming more calories. It is important to be mindful of portion sizes to avoid exceeding proper caloric intake, especially when eating high-calorie foods.
• Rethink your drink – join this challenge & learn more
- It is important to pay close attention to how many calories beverages contribute to your daily caloric intake. Calories from sugar-sweetened beverages can add up quickly and may not make you feel as full. These empty calories can lead to weight gain, obesity and diabetes. In addition to cutting back on sugary drinks, aim for consuming 6-8 glasses of water each day.
• Track/journal daily intake – join this challenge & learn more
- Keeping a record of daily food intake will help you stay on track and give you a way to uncover your habits. It is also a quick way to share your progress with your health care provider.
• Hold the salt – join this challenge & learn more
- Moderating salt intake helps to lessen fluid buildup. Consuming too much sodium can increase the work of the heart and kidneys and may increase blood pressure.
Earn Points & Prizes
Earn up to 360 points by completing these weekly healthy habits (each challenge you participate in is worth 10 points per week). Be sure to stay engaged and track weekly for your chance to earn a $50 grocery gift card*. Five lucky winners will be selected each week to win their choice of the following gift cards: Aldi, Kroger, Giant Eagle, Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, Blue Apron or Hello Fresh.
Bonus Points: Get social! Snap a photo of your healthy eating adventure, then email it to firstname.lastname@example.org or post it to the YP4H Twitter/Facebook pages using #OSUNutritionExpedition. You could win an additional 25 points if your photo is selected to be featured in the weekly challenge email.
Participate As A Team
Create or join a team of 2-20 coworkers (teammates need to be from your direct workplace). Come up with creative ways to support healthy eating at the workplace. Some ideas include (but are not limited to):
• Organize a “spa water” day (bring in lemons/limes/cucumbers/mint/etc. to add to water)
• Organize a healthy snack bar
• Organize a communal salad/fruit bar
• Organize a healthy recipe exchange (aggregate and make a team recipe book)
• Organize a healthy potluck
Share the details of your group activity for your chance to earn an additional 100 points for every member of your team. The photo should capture the entire team participating in the group activity. All entries must be received by 11:59pm on Sunday, April 2. Voting will be open until 11:59pm on Sunday, April 9.
How to enter:
1. The team captain (or designated member) should fill out the sweepstakes form. Please have the details of your team activity, including a photo, and your team members’ information on hand when you submit the form.
2. The participant who submits the form will earn 15 points for their approved submission (only one form can be submitted per team activity).
3. All approved submissions will be posted on our Facebook page for a voting contest via “likes”. The three photos with the most votes (“likes”) will win the points.
- BONUS! Every photo submission that has at least one vote (“like”) will be entered into a raffle to win a team cooking/class demo.
Please use any of the resources below to help market/promote/communicate the challenge to your unit/department.
- • Flyer | download
- • Email header | download
- • Challenge title text | download
- • Food plan/shop/prep passport stamp | download
- • Fill up with fiber passport stamp | download
- • Focus on portion size passport stamp | download
- • Rethink your drink passport stamp | download
- • Track/journal daily intake passport stamp | download
- • Hold the salt passport stamp | download
- • National Nutrition Month 2017 | information & resources
*PLEASE NOTE: To be eligible to win prizes included in this challenge, you must complete your 2017 PHA. Click here to schedule a biometric screening appointment. Under the Internal Revenue Code, the university is required to report taxable income for all financial incentives that a faculty/staff member or his/her S/SSDP receives. Therefore, you will be taxed if you choose to accept the prize. Gift cards will be distributed after the challenge ends (after April 2, 2017).
Ohio State and Your Plan for Health (YP4H) are committed to helping you achieve your best health. Rewards for participating in wellness challenges are available to all benefits-eligible faculty and staff and their spouses/SSDPs who are enrolled in the OSU Health Plan. If you are unable to meet the current standard in light of your health status (physician recommendation, pregnancy, etc), you might qualify for an opportunity to earn the same reward by different means (provider waiver or reasonable alternative). Contact The OSU Health Plan Engagement Specialist at email@example.com (or call 614-292-5989) to learn more about whether you qualify and we will work with you to develop a plan/activity with the same reward that is right for you.